4.27.2008

Sunday Brunch



Today was Linda's first day of living with us so we made a special brunch. Linda will be renting out our spare room for the next few months. :) We had grapes and croissants for a starter and then a crustless quiche and lovely stumptown coffee.


We listened to a Doris Day record my grandma gave me and watched as Teagan gave us his best "i'm so perfect and cute so why don't you give me a bite of you food" face. :)
After breakfast we walked across the courtyard to see Theresa's new lamp up close and drool over the lamp shade she embellished. When we got back we found that we had forgotten to close the kitchen door and Teagan was up on the counter helping himself to the last piece of quiche. The windows are now open and we're cleaning up from breakfast and working on some laundry and random projects we have laying around while the Amelie soundtrack is playing in the background. I love sundays. :)



Crustless Quiche- a variation from this recipe

bread crumbs
1 chopped shallot
1/2 lb of bacon ends and pieces, cut into small diced pieces
A few large spinach leaves torn up into bitesize pieces
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
grated mild cheddar
6 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
salt and pepper

a 10-inch quiche dish or 10-inch glass pie plate

*Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in middle.

*Butter quiche dish, then sprinkle all over with bread crumbs.

*Cook onions with bacon till bacon is cooked through and slightly crispy and shallots are browned and a bit caramelized

*Sprinkle the spinach bits in the pan and spread the bacon and shallots in dish, then evenly sprinkle cheese on top.

*Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, and some salt and pepper and pour over cheese.

*Bake 20 min at 425 then cover with foil and bake another 20 min at 350, until top is golden and custard is set in center. Cool slightly before cutting into wedges. It's lovely with a fresh spinach salad on the side or with fruit and croissants. Serve with a healthy portion of old jazz and French music.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, and forgot to mention in my comment on the previous post that I love Amelie too! The name of your blog is what caught my eye over at the blog list on Posie gets Cozy. I watch the movie often. I think I could watch it every week for the rest of my life and still be in love with it. I too love to listen to the soundtrack while I putter around the house working on projects or cleaning. I have a dress form that I christined with the name Amelie...it fits well. :)


    Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails